Today, I am going to teach you how to cook a simplified version of a Malaysian traditional “Peranakan” or “Nyonya” dish – “Asam Pedas Ikan Pari”. It can be cooked using a variety of seafood like the mackerel or the machete, but we strongly recommend the the stringray. This dish takes less than 30 minutes if you have Sambal prepared earlier.
How to make Asam Pedas Ikan Pari
for 2 to 3 servings
- 8 to 10 tbsp Sambal – Learn how to make Sambal here
- 4 stalks laksa leaves “Daun Kesum”
- 1 ginger torch flower “Bunga Kantan”, cut into quarters
- 1 cup tamarind juice
- 400 g stingray
- 3 cups water
- 100 g okra, cut into halves
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder to taste
- Sugar to taste
- On medium-low heat, fry sambal for about 1 minute until fragrance.
- Add laksa leaves and ginger torch flower. Mix well.
- Add tamarind juice. Stir and mix well.
- Add stingray and water. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until stingray is cooked.
- Add salt, black pepper and sugar to taste.
- Add okra. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until okra is soften.
- Serve hot with steam white rice. Enjoy!