The one reason we like bubble tea or “珍珠奶茶” beside the thirst-quenching factor is the “pearls”. Today, I will teach you how to make chewy tapioca balls from scratch. Let us know in the comment below if you like it homemade or store-bought.
If you have a sweet tooth like most of us do, we have prepared a list of dessert recipes just for you.
How to make Bubble Tea
for 2 servings
- 55 ml water
- 20 g palm sugar
- 50 g good quality tapioca flour
- 450 ml water
- 10 g black tea or English tea
- 150 ml low-fat milk
- Melted palm sugar
- Melt palm sugar with water on low-heat.
- Once boiled, turn off the heat and quickly add tapioca flour.
- Mix with a spatula. Keep mixing until cool enough to knead using hands.
- Lightly knead with hands until the dough is no longer sticky. DO NOT over knead the dough.
- Roll dough into a long strip.
- Lightly dust your hands with flour.
- Nip a small piece from the dough and roll in between your palms to form a small “pearl”.
- Add pearls into rapidly boiling water.
- Once all pearls are floated, turn down to low-heat.
- Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let sit for another 15 minutes.
- Once pearls turned translucent, drain and soak in cold water. Set aside.
- Add black tea into rapidly boiling water and let boil for another minute.
- Add milk.
- Bring it to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Strain the milk tea.
- Add some pearls into a cup.
- Add melted palm sugar to taste.
- Add milk tea.
- Add some ice (optional).
- Stir well and enjoy!