Indulge in the luscious flavours of the “Buttermilk Chicken, the Malaysian Version” – a culinary sensation that combines tender, golden-fried chicken with a luxuriously creamy sauce, all designed to perfectly complement a steaming plate of white rice.
Picture succulent chicken pieces, fried to a crisp, yet maintaining their juicy tenderness within. Now, imagine them drenched in a velvety, aromatic buttermilk sauce that’s an exquisite fusion of creamy richness and a subtle hint of curry. It’s a dish that embodies Malaysia’s gift for blending diverse flavours into a harmonious culinary symphony.
What truly sets this Malaysian version of Buttermilk Chicken apart is its ability to turn a simple plate of white rice into a gourmet experience. The creamy sauce, with its delicate balance of sweetness and savoury notes, coats each grain, creating a delightful contrast to the crispy chicken. It’s a marriage of textures and tastes that will leave your taste buds tingling with delight.
How to Make Buttermilk Chicken
300 g chicken breast, cut into bite-size cubes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp corn flour
40 g butter
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 bird’s eye chillies, chopped
2 stalks curry leaves
250 ml evaporated milk
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
Fried curry leaves
- Cut chicken into bite-size cubes.
- Marinate with salt and white pepper for 30 minutes.
- Add egg, all-purpose flour and corn flour. Mix until all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Heat oil on medium-heat.
- Add 2 stalks of curry leaves (be careful!). Fry for 14 to 30 seconds until lightly browned and slightly translucent. Set aside.
- Using the same oil, add chicken. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown. You can fry the chicken in several batches and try not to overcrowd the frying pan. Set chicken aside.
- Heat frying pan or wok on medium-heat.
- Add cooking oil and butter. Move the butter around and make sure it is not burnt.
- While the butter is half-melted, add garlic. Stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add chillies and curry leaves. Stir-fry until fragrant and the garlic is slightly browned.
- Add evaporated milk. Stir to mix all the ingredients.
- Cook the sauce until it is thickened.
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Bring up the heat and add the fried chicken.
- Quickly toss until all the chicken is coated with the sauce. Do not cook too long or the chicken will turn soft.
- Serve and enjoy!