Chinese New Year is the time of the year where friends and families gather. This Golden Cheesy “Wonton” Money Bags “黃金福袋” is the ideal dish to be served either as a side course or a snack. One will definitely enjoy the crunchiness of the “wonton” skin and savour the taste of the creatively combined flavours – bacon and cheese. You can also experiment with the recipe by using different meat and sauces.
How to make Cheesy Golden ‘Wonton’ Money Bags
for 25 to 30 wontons
- 100 g shrimps, cleaned and deveined, cut into 2-cm pieces
- 100 g bacon
- 100 g cream cheese
- 50 g shredded cheese
- 50 g Chinese chive flowers, chopped
- 25 to 30 wonton wrappers
- Some Chinese chives to tie the wontons
- Soak some chives in boiling water for 5 to 7 minutes or until soft enough to tie a wonton. Drain and set aside.
- Fry bacon for about 3 to 5 minutes or crisp to your like.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together fried bacon, shrimps, cream cheese, shredded cheese and chopped chive flowers.
- Place 1 tsp of filling in the center of a wonton wrapper.
- Using finger, spread a thin layer of water on all the edges of the wrapper.
- Grab two corners and fold into a triangular pocket. Fold the other two corners to wrap the wonton. Pinch out as much air as possible while forming a ‘money bag’. Pinch harder on the middle to form a “neck”.
- Tie a soften chive around the ‘neck’. Trim the excess.
- Heat oil on medium-high.
- Deep-fry wonton for about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Tip: If the wonton head browned too quickly, slightly reduce the heat.
- Remove wonton from oil and shake of excess oil. Use paper towels to soak up more excess oil.
- Serve while still hot. Enjoy!