Japanese kani salad is a crab salad usually made from imitation crab meat or ” kani ” in Japanese (hence the name) with fresh vegetables, spicy wasabi mayonnaise dressing, and top with fish roe (or “tobiko”) and roasted black sesame seeds, and it is usually served cold. You can find it in most Japanese restaurants. Fortunately, making your own Kani salad is incredibly easy! It only takes 10 minutes to whip up.
If you like time-saving recipes, we have prepared a list of easy recipes just for you.
How to make Japanese Kani Salad
for 2 servings
- 10 crab sticks
- 1 head green coral lettuce, sliced
- 1 head red coral lettuce, sliced
- 1 Japanese cucumber, cut into half-moons
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 4 to 5 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- ½ tsp wasabi paste (or more for the extra kicks)
- Fish roe “Tobiko”
- Toasted black sesame seeds
- In a medium bowl, mix together Japanese mayonnaise, wasabi paste and shredded crab sticks. Let chill (optional).
- In a large bowl, add all vegetables and toss evenly.
- Divide mixed vegetables into 2 equal portions. Top with mayonnaise crab, fish roe and toasted black sesame seeds. Enjoy!