This Mayonnaise Shrimp, also known as the Shrimp Salad is a combination of deep-fried crispy shrimps, fried sweet pineapple (yes, fried pineapple), and zesty lime mayonnaise dressing. You can find this dish in almost any Chinese restaurant and often during Chinese wedding dinners. It can be served on its own as snacks or go along with rice and other Chinese dishes.
How to make Mayonnaise Shrimp
for 2 to 3 servings
- 250 g shrimp, butterflied
- 150 g pineapple, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper powder
- Some oil for frying
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Mix together mayonnaise and lime juice. Let chill in refrigerator.
- Heat oil on medium-heat.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together shrimps, salt and white pepper.
- Add egg yolk and mix well.
- Add corn starch and mix until all shrimps are well coated.
- In batches, fry shrimps for 30 to 60 seconds or until cooked through (bigger shrimp may require more time).
- Drain fried shrimps and set aside.
- Using the same oil, fry pineapple for about a minute or until lightly browned on the edges.
- To serve, simply add mayonnaise dressing to fried shrimps and pineapple. Enjoy!