Traditionally cooked in claypots, this delightful dish has been reimagined, making it accessible to all with a common kitchen appliance – the rice cooker! Embrace the simplicity of this one-pot wonder, which brings the delectable tastes of the original claypot chicken rice recipe to your dining table.
Gone are the days of hunting for a claypot, as the rice cooker effortlessly takes the center stage. With just a few basic ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, you’ll recreate the authentic taste and aroma of this beloved dish.
Imagine the irresistible blend of succulent chicken, marinated to perfection, mingling with fragrant jasmine rice and an assortment of delightful seasonings. As the rice cooker works its magic, your kitchen will be filled with enticing scents of sesame oil that are sure to whet your appetite.
Embrace the convenience without compromising on taste, and let “Rice Cooker Chicken Rice” become your go-to recipe for those busy days when a nourishing, home-cooked meal is desired without the fuss.
How to Make Rice Cooker “Claypot” Chicken Rice
30 to 40 minutes
3 to 4
2 chicken whole legs, deboned and cut into 2-cm pieces
6 to 8 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and quartered
300 g Jasmine fragrance rice
420 ml water
1 piece salted fish (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper powder
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp juice of ginger
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine (optional)
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp cornstarch
Spring onion, chopped
- Soak shiitake mushroom with hot water. Set aside.
- Cut, peel and juice about 2 inches of ginger. Set aside.
- Chop spring onions used for garnish. Set aside.
- Squeeze all the water from the shiitake mushroom. Trim off the stems and cut the mushrooms into quarters. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into 2-cm pieces. Place chopped chicken into a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, white pepper powder, sugar, juice of ginger, oyster sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Shaoxing wine (optional), sesame oil and cornstarch. Mix well.
- Add mushroom and continue mixing until well combined. Marinate for 1 hour.
- Rinse rice several times until the water is nearly clear.
- Add rinsed rice into the rice cooker pot.
- Add water and spread the rice evenly.
- Cook the rice.
- [Important] When the rice cooker starts releasing steam, quickly open the lid and see if most of the water is absorbed into the rice and created some pores from the surface of the rice. If not, close the lid and cook for a minute or two.
- At this point, add marinated chicken and spread evenly on top of the rice.
- Add salted fish in a separate bowl if you wish. Close the lid and continue cooking.
- Once the rice is cooked, let steam for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the salted fish, debone and break it. Mix it into the rice along with chopped spring onions.
- Mix well and serve.
- Add some fresh spring onions for the extra aroma. Enjoy!