Enjoy the mouthwatering “Sichuan Pepper Prawns”, which skillfully combines straightforward cooking with powerful flavours.
Prepare for a flavour explosion that goes beyond the usual. This seafood dish receives a distinctive and thrilling twist from the Sichuan pepper, which is famous for its numbing and citrusy flavours. But don’t stop there; if you’re feeling bold and daring, feel free to add additional chilli to the mixture to let the fire out!
How to Make Sichuan Pepper Prawns
30 to 45 minutes
3 to 4
500 g prawns
3 or more dried red chillies, soaked and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, minced
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorn
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
- Soak dried chillies in hot water. Set aside.
- Mince garlic. Set aside.
- Mince about 1 inch of ginger. Set aside.
- On low-heat, toast Sichuan peppercorns until fragrance.
- Crush peppercorns with a food processor or mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- Chop soaked dried chillies. Set aside.
- Carefully clean, devein and pat dry the prawns.
- Heat cooking oil on medium-heat.
- Add prawns. Cook for about a minute or two on each side.
- Add ginger, garlic and chillies. Stir-fry for about a minute or until all ingredients are aromatic.
- Add Sichuan pepper and salt. Stir-fry until all the prawns are coated with the Sichuan pepper.
- Add sugar and stir-fry until dissolved.
- Finally, add sesame oil and continue to stir-fry for about 15 seconds.
- Plate and serve. Enjoy!