In this final episode of the Sambal series, I am going to teach you how to make a Malaysian traditional curry dish – “Sotong Masak Lemak Padang”. Only 30 minutes from preparation to serving. Oh and of course, only if you have Sambal stored in your fridge. No? Hold on to this and start from here.
If you love Malaysian food, check out our list of the local dishes.
How to make Sotong Masak Lemak Padang
for 2 to 3 servings
- 6 to 8 tbsp Sambal – Learn how to make Sambal here
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 2 potatoes, quartered and blanched
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 600 g squid
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Blanch potatoes until soft enough to be pierced through using a fork. Set aside.
- On medium-low heat, fry sambal for about 1 minute until fragrance.
- Add lemongrass, onions, blanched potatoes, tomatoes, squid, coconut milk and water. Mix well and stir occasionally to prevent coconut milk from separating.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until squid is cooked.
- Add salt and sugar to taste. Give it a final stir and plate.
- Serve hot with steam white rice. Enjoy!