Okra or commonly known as Ladies’ Fingers in Malaysia is often added as accompaniment in stir-fried dishes, fish curries, or Portuguese-grilled seafood. One of the many ways to cook okra alone as a “hero dish” (and is super easy) is – Steam. If you have sambal kept in the fridge, you only need 20 minutes to make what the title suggests — Steamed Okra with Sambal.
How to make Steamed Okra with Sambal
for 2 servings
- 200 g okra
- 20 g dried shrimps
- 3 to 4 tbsp Sambal – Learn how to make Sambal here
- Salt and sugar to taste (optional)
- Rinse and soak okra for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Trim off the stem.
- Place okra on a steam-proof dish. Set aside.
- Rinse and soak dried shrimps for 3 to 5 minutes. Let dry.
- Roughly chop the dried shrimps.
- Add 2 tbsp of Sambal oil into a medium-heat frying pan.
- Add chopped dried shrimps. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add 3 to 4 tbsp of Sambal. Stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Steam okra for about 5 to 7 minutes or until just soft enough to be pierced through using a fork.
- Remove okra from steamer.
- Quickly pour sambal over the okra.
- Serve while still hot. Enjoy!