Steamed prawns with “Shaoxing” wine and egg white or “花雕蛋白蒸虾” in Chinese is the best and simple way to showcase the goodness and “sweetness” of the fresh seafood. My personal favourite in this recipe is the egg. It is nicely incorporated with the liquid from the steamed prawns and the aroma of the “Shaoxing” wine. This dish is best served with rice at dinner.
We have also listed this dish in the Chinese New Year series. Go check it out!
How to make Steamed Prawns with Shaoxing Wine and Egg White
for 3 to 4 servings
- 8 to 12 (about 320 to 480 g) sea prawns, deveined and cleaned
- 2 (about 75 ml) egg white
- 75 ml water
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 15 g ginger, julienned
- Spring onion, chopped
- Combine egg white, water, Shaoxing wine, salt and sugar. Lightly whisk and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Devein prawns with toothpick and clean them.
- Place prawns on a heatproof dish.
- Top prawns with julienned ginger.
- Steam prawns for 5 minutes on high-heat.
- Remove prawns from wok. Do not remove any liquid from the steamed prawns – that’s GOLD!
- Pour egg white mixture around the prawns. Remove any bubbles.
- Tip: Cover dish with heatproof cling wrap. This will ensure you a silky smooth steamed egg surface.
- Return to the steamer for 8 on high-heat or until egg is set. Time may vary depending on your flame and dish type – Metal dishes cook faster than ceramic dishes.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions.
- Serve while it’s hot. Enjoy!