Beef Rendang BurgerAugust 21, 2018
Japanese Kani SaladSeptember 3, 2018
Roti Jala – Malaysia National Day Edition
Roti Jala, meaning “Net Bread”, is a popular Malay dish that is usually served with curry dishes especially chicken curry. It gotten the name “Jala” from the netlike pattern due to the way it is made.
In conjunction with the Malaysia National Day, we made a 4-colour edition – Red, White, Yellow and Blue, representing the colours of the Malaysian flag.
for 5 to 6 servings
- 240 g (2 cups) flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 egg
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 250 ml (1 cup) coconut milk
- Cooking oil
- 1 plastic water bottle with cap
- A sharp pointed knife
- In a mixing bowl, sieve flour, salt and turmeric powder. Whisk in egg, water and coconut milk until smooth. Sieve batter to remove clumps.
- Poke 3 holes in the bottle cap. Fill bottle with batter.
- Lightly grease a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Working quickly, drizzle batter in a circular motion to form a netlike “jala” pattern.
- Do not flip but watch closely so it’s doesn’t burn. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until the edges are lifted.
- Remove from pan. Fold the sides and roll up.
- Best serve with chicken curry. Enjoy!